Find Your Purpose and Help Youth and Young Adults Find Theirs
Tree Trust’s mission is to transform lives and landscapes by engaging people to build skills for meaningful careers, inspiring people to plant trees, and making our community a greener, healthier place to live. JOIN US!
Reporting directly to the Program Manager, the Tree Care Trainer – Tree Trust YouthBuild invests in the lives of young people ages 16 – 21 by mentoring youth to develop marketable job and leadership skills and teaching young adults tree care while ensuring the safe and timely completion of tree care and landscaping projects.
What You Will Get from This Role:
- Excellent benefits package includes Vacation, Sick, 10 paid holidays, 401(k), 3 Health Insurance options, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Voluntary additional life insurance, Employee Assistance Program, Disability, and an FSA
- Collaborative, supportive, productive yet fun work culture. In a recent employee survey 100% of respondents reported that their "co-workers treated them with respect.”
- Opportunity to work with a mission driven team, with supportive leadership, while also having appropriate autonomy and freedom to make decisions, create processes and systems, and take initiative and ownership.
Tree Trust actively seeks to build a staff that reflects the diversity of the population and community it serves, and that’s why we strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Deliver tree care credential training in alignment with Tree Care Industry Association curriculum ensuring participants achieve credentials.
- Train, coordinate and supervise a diverse crew of young adults, ages 16 – 24, in tree care.
- Establish and maintain a safe worksite. This includes providing safety training to students, identifying hazards, and ensuring use of personal protective equipment.
- Maintain clean worksite, tools, and equipment, and keep appropriate staff updated on equipment and project needs.
- Develop supportive relationship with crew members, serving as a positive role model promoting individual growth.
- Enforce program policies and take disciplinary action while maintaining established rapport, motivation and enforcement of high expectations.
- Develop, facilitate, and assist in employment and educational trainings.
- Participate in service learning, training days, recognition activities and staff meetings, as required.
- Transport youth and equipment between worksites.
- Adhere to program funding requirements.
- Recruit participants including interviewing candidates, develop and implement program orientation, and complete new hire paperwork.
Leadership and Life Skills Training Support
- Support Program Manager in Leadership and Life Skills implementation.
Placement Year Student Support
- Work with other staff to assist crew in meeting goals, including achievement of high school diploma or equivalent, preparedness for future education and employment, and recognition and utilization of personal goals, abilities and resources.
- Assist with job placements during post programming year including career discovery, resume development, job search, mock interviewing, and other Employment Readiness Training.
- Maintain monthly contact with past participants (as assigned) and provide additional follow-up as necessary.
- Complete and maintain documentation of daily events, including attendance, disciplinary action, youth progress evaluation and worksite project data.
- Track participant attendance and follow up with absent participants. Work with participants when attendance issues arise.
- Maintain and track participants time/point sheets.
Participant Service Requirements
- Develop trusting relationships with participants and express constructive ideas to educate and help the participant through difficult situations.
- Communicate with participants and families under sometimes stressful circumstances.
- Set appropriate boundaries with participants, staying focused on service goals.
- Respond to challenging situations with composure and empathy.
- Provide service to participants with all types of employment barriers, including participants with experience in the criminal justice system and substance abuse issues.
- Associates degree in urban forestry, human services or a related field and one or more years of relevant work experience; or a high school diploma/GED and three or more years of relevant work experience.
- Enjoy teaching basic tree care techniques. Teaching topics will include tree identification, proper tree planting, tree pruning, workplace norms and expectations, the use of personal protective equipment, daily work plan expectations, safety, and recognizing hazards.
- 1 or more years assisting youth with diverse backgrounds in developing a variety of personal, professional skills and experience with strength-based assessment preferred.
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, positive attitude, and a commitment to youth development.
- Ability to promote individual growth in youth from diverse backgrounds with varying abilities.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Valid MN driver’s license and clean driving record as determined by our insurance carrier.
- Reliable personal vehicle and valid insurance.
- Ability to pass a criminal & motor vehicle background check.
Work Environment: Job will require working outdoors in all types of weather conditions and exposure to elements. This can include heavy to moderate noise, extreme proximity to moving equipment or machinery, proximity to electrical energy, exposure to tools and machines used in landscaping industries. Job will also include work in an office setting to include screen/keyboard use and sitting.
Physical demands: Physical demands require constantly moving, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling. Frequently operates machinery and will use hands/fingers and legs to operate, activate, use, prepare, inspect, place, detect and position materials. Frequently required to stand and walk, lift and/or move up to 50 lbs. Constantly required to communicate with ability to talk and hear. Job will also include work in an office setting to include screen/keyboard use and sitting.