The Tree Trust Community Forestry department organizes efforts to increase the urban tree canopy through community and school- based volunteer plantings, municipal tree distributions and other special forestry initiatives. By emphasizing proper planting techniques and continued maintenance, these events lay the groundwork for enlightened environmental stewardship.
This position is a summer/seasonal position running from end of April through October 2021.
Tree Trust actively seeks to build a staff that reflects the diversity of the population and community it serves, and that’s why we strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Purpose: To transform lives and landscapes and make our community a greener, healthier place to live by planting trees to grow a vibrant and resilient urban forest.
Job Summary: The Community Forestry Assistant supports all aspects of Tree Trust’s Community Forestry programming including volunteer tree planting and outreach events, vegetation management and general care of trees within Tree Trust’s purview.
- Provide logistical and onsite support for Community Forestry event programming.
- Train and manage volunteers for Community Forestry related tasks.
- Assist and attend Tree Trust sponsored educational events.
- Perform general vegetation and tree care management of areas within Tree Trust’s purview. Tasks include planting, watering, mulch management, weeding and pruning.
- Assist with various administrative duties associated with forestry programming.
- Interest in urban forestry, community greening, trees and/or the environment.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record as determined by our insurance provider.
- Ability to work early mornings, evenings and weekends within a 40-hour work week.
- Writing, speaking and organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of common computer software including word processing and spreadsheets.
- Leadership skills and the ability to work as a team member and independently.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Passion for people and trees.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check.
Work Environment: — Regularly works outside in conditions that include bad weather heats up to 100 degrees, and humidity. Noise level may be loud at times. Sturdy/closed toe footwear required. All tools will be provided by Tree Trust.
- Desire to be outdoors and to work alone or amongst a team in various weather conditions.
- The ability to stand for long periods, sit, twist, bend, grip, and lift and carry heavy objects up to 60 lbs.
What You Will Get from This Role:
- Collaborative, supportive, productive yet fun work culture that one department leader described as “the best team I’ve ever worked with” (and they had spent their career in orgs like ours!). In a recent employee survey 100% of respondents reported that their "co-workers treated them with respect.”
- A summer spent outdoors serving your community and saving energy, reducing city noise, increasing biodiversity, modifying climate, improving air quality, reducing flooding, and improving lives, all things that a healthy urban canopy brings to our cities.