This position starts in June and runs through August 2021. Interviews will be conducted in March 2021.
There are multiple openings for this role.
Job Purpose: To transform lives and landscapes by engaging youth and young adults to build skills for meaningful, family-supporting, skilled trade, green careers, creating economic opportunity and equity while making our community a greener, healthier place to live.
Job Summary: This position is responsible for the coordination and organization of assigned YCC Crews including work plans, job sites and projects, supplies and equipment, staff support, training and evaluation, and paperwork. This position directly oversees 3-4 YCC crews and aids and supports with any issues that arise.
Tree Trust was created in 1976 to address two problems in our communities: the devastation of the urban tree canopy due to Dutch elm disease and the high unemployment and poverty rates for youth and adults at the time. We began combating these issues by hiring unemployed individuals and training them to plant trees and reforest the Twin Cities. Since then, we have expanded to offer integrated job preparation programs, community forestry and environmental education programs.
- provide meaningful opportunities for greening our local community
- give youth the chance to gain work experience, boost their self-confidence, and find positive direction
- teach practical job skills to young people to help reshape their lives
- guide young people to select and train for a career that will help them become self-sufficient
- help volunteers connect with their community and the outdoors
Tree Trust actively seeks to build a staff that reflects the diversity of the population and community it serves, and that’s why we strongly encourage people of color to apply.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Provide training, supervision, and support to assigned YCC crew leaders.
- Oversee the planning and logistics for projects for all assigned crews.
- Organize and coordinate the work of YCC crews towards a timely and professional completion of projects.
- Set and maintain clear expectations for work attendance, appearance, language, and behavior among both crew leaders and youth.
- In conjunction with the YCC Job Coaches and Tree Trust administrative staff, assist supervisors with issues of behavior management and conflict resolution as needed.
- Assure work site safety by enforcing all Tree Trust safety policies and procedures.
- Provide work direction to YCC Crew Leaders and YCC Crew Members.
- Coordinate and supervise the cleaning, maintenance, and repair of equipment.
- Ensure crews are properly documenting personnel and project information.
- Serve as a role model by setting a positive example and representing Tree Trust to the general public and host site agencies.
- Arrange for all materials and equipment needed to complete the projects.
- Communicate crew changes and needs to Employment Programs Manager.
- Attend weekly staff coordination meetings.
Participant Service Requirements
- Develop trusting relationships with participants and express constructive ideas to educate and help the participant through difficult situations.
- Communicate with participants and families under sometimes stressful circumstances.
- Set appropriate boundaries with participants, staying focused on service goals.
- Respond to crisis situations with composure and empathy.
- Provide service to participants with all types of employment barriers, including participants with criminal records and substance abuse issues.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record as determined by our insurance carrier.
- Ability to pass a criminal and motor vehicle background check.
- Basic knowledge of and experience with landscape construction techniques.
- Sound judgement and adaptability under changing conditions.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with vendors, project partners, youth, parents, and community members.
- The ability to work independently and unsupervised, as well as in a team.
- One year of experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
- Experience working with and positively motivating disadvantaged youth of diverse backgrounds.
- One year of college education in a related field (including but not limited to, education, psychology, sociology, horticulture, or landscape related)
- Prior experience working with or supervising youth/young adults.
Work Environment: — Regularly works outside in conditions that include bad weather heats up to 100 degrees, and humidity. Noise level may be loud at times. Sturdy/closed toe footwear required. All tools will be provided by Tree Trust.
- Desire to be outdoors and to work amongst a team in various weather conditions.
- The ability to stand for long periods of time, sit, twist, bend, grip, and lift and carry heavy objects up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to learn how to safety and effectively use all tools and equipment needed for job tasks, which may include operating a chainsaw.